[NIFL-WOMENLIT:989] Re: Too Scared to Learn - starting t

From: Beyene Megersa (Beyene_Megersa@wvi.org)
Date: Sat Sep 23 2000 - 13:10:22 EDT

Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2000 13:10:22 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-womenlit@literacy.nifl.gov
From: Beyene_Megersa@wvi.org (Beyene Megersa)
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-womenlit@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-WOMENLIT:989] Re: Too Scared to Learn - starting t

     I will be away for quite sometime. Would you please delete me from
     the list. I will come bqck to you a bit later.

     Thanks.
     Beyene.

Subject: [NIFL-WOMENLIT:982] Re: Too Scared to Learn - starting the d
Author:  nifl-womenlit@nifl.gov at INTERNET
Date:    9/21/00 1:26 AM

There has been some interesting work in the international development
literature on how men use additional income vs. how women use additional
income in developing countries.  To put it succinctly, men spend the
additional income on self-gratification activities (alcohol use, socializing
with other males, etc.).  Women spend the additional money on their
children's health and education.

As a consequence of this research, more and more development programs are
targeting women, and even those that don't require specific strategies for
women.

I have not seen anything that specifically addresses the issue of increased
domestic violence.

Perhaps the Nepalese women can develop purchasing cooperatives for food,
health care, education--the coop purchases or brokers these goods, rather
than the woman simply taking the money home for the husband to seize.  The
women could also negotiate better prices for food and clothing, for example.

I realize this does not tackle the issue of differential power relationships
and domestic violence, but it might reduce the level of violence while still
allowing women to improve their and their children's lives.
Kathleen Bombach