[NIFL-WOMENLIT:934] What are 2000 Reasons America Should Read?

From: Behroozi, Jaleh (Jaleh_Behroozi@nifl.gov)
Date: Tue Aug 22 2000 - 13:56:02 EDT

Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 13:56:02 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-womenlit@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Behroozi, Jaleh" <Jaleh_Behroozi@nifl.gov>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-womenlit@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-WOMENLIT:934] What are 2000 Reasons America Should Read?

What is your favorite reason to read?
Literacy Volunteers of America, Inc. (LVA) and title sponsor Tic Tac have
created an entertaining online interactive lottery called 2000 Reasons
America Should Read.  This lottery is simple and fun.  LVA has invited
celebrities, librarians, adult education practitioners, businesspeople,
students, teachers, and the general public to submit online their favorite
reason to read.  Celebrity entries will be featured prominently on the
opening page, and will rotate regularly.
Reasons submitted from May 1 - Sept. 30, 2000 are posted on an electronic
bulletin board accessible from the site, and entered into a lottery. Three
names will be pulled at our national conference in Kansas City, MO on Oct.
7, 2000 and the prize winners will be notified by mail.
"I hope that you will join us in this unique endeavor to raise public
awareness about literacy by submitting your favorite reason to read. We will
feature your personal reason prominently as soon as we receive it!" said
Marsha L. Tait, LVA, Inc. president.
Join us in this unique endeavor and submit your favorite reason to read by
visiting www.2000Reasons.org <http://www.2000Reasons.org>  and clicking on
the button marked "Submit a Reason."
The U.S. Department of Education estimates that between 40 and 44 million
adults in the U.S. function at the lowest level of literacy skill.  LVA,
Inc. is a national not-for-profit organization, managed by professionals,
which delivers local literacy services through a network of more than 350
volunteer literacy programs serving more than 70,000 adult literacy students
and their families yearly.  LVA, Inc. defines adult literacy as the ability
to read, write, and speak English proficiently, to compute and solve
problems, and to use technology in order to become life-long learners and to
be effective in the family, in the workplace, and in the community.

Jaleh Behroozi Soroui
LINCS Director
National Institute for Literacy
1775 I Street,  Suite 730