[NIFL-WOMENLIT:890] RE: Literacy at the GOP convention

From: Daphne Greenberg (ALCDGG@langate.gsu.edu)
Date: Wed Aug 02 2000 - 15:08:58 EDT

Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2000 15:08:58 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-womenlit@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Daphne Greenberg" <ALCDGG@langate.gsu.edu>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-womenlit@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-WOMENLIT:890] RE: Literacy at the GOP convention

When this type of thing is done, what happens if the Republicans lose and the Democrats win?  Does it mean that a Democratic president would be less inclined to favor funds to go to NCFL, because Sharon addressed the Republican convention?

Daphne Greenberg
Center for the Study of Adult Literacy
Georgia State University
University Plaza
Atlanta, GA 30303-3083
Fax: 404-651-1415
Ph: 404-651-0400
E-mail: alcdgg@langate.gsu.edu

>>> Christy_Gullion@ed.gov 08/01 2:47 PM >>>
For those of you who missed Sharon's remarks last night, the following link
will take you to a site where you can read her speech.

http://www.courier-journal.com/localnews/2000/0008/01/000801darlingtext.html

I think Sharon did a good job, in the VERY limited time she was allotted, to
not only raise the issue of early literacy (kids) but also adult literacy.
In contract, Laura Bush did not mention adult literacy or even the word
"literacy" in her remarks (even though her speech was supposed to be about
literacy).

The following is an additional article about Sharon's involvement at the GOP
convention.

http://www.courier-journal.com/localnews/2000/0008/01/000801darl.html

The Democratic Convention will take place in two weeks in Los Angeles.  We
will have to wait to see if the Democrats address the issue through their
speakers.

Christy Gullion
Senior Policy Analyst
National Institute for Literacy