[NIFL-WOMENLIT:873] Re: Excerpt from Thursday Notes

From: Dana Cooper (d7cooper@hotmail.com)
Date: Thu Jul 27 2000 - 22:48:57 EDT

Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2000 22:48:57 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-womenlit@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Dana Cooper" <d7cooper@hotmail.com>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-womenlit@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-WOMENLIT:873] Re: Excerpt from Thursday Notes

RE: Daphne Greenberg's Excerpt from Thursday Notes
>Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2000 14:46:01 -0400 (EDT)
>Attentive Moms May Promote High Intelligence Offspring

I wonder if mother rat-baby rat relationships can be linked (related? tied?)
to human mother-human baby relationships.  I mean, putting aside political
correctness, does a human child require a specifically female primary
caretaker or just an attentive caretaker?  Male rats probably do not tend to
their offspring, but some male humans do.  Must the attentive human parent
be the mother?

Before presenting such a theory as a model for human relationships, I would
see if that theory held any merit among human relationships.
Also, I would find it hard to gauge how much attentiveness is positive and
how much becomes smothering.  That is another problem comparing rat life to
human life.

Dana Cooper
ESL Teacher-Volunteer
Philadelphia, PA   USA