[NIFL-WOMENLIT:830] How does a feminist teach?

From: nonesuch@mala.bc.ca
Date: Fri Jun 23 2000 - 13:20:04 EDT

Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 13:20:04 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-womenlit@literacy.nifl.gov
From: nonesuch@mala.bc.ca
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-womenlit@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-WOMENLIT:830] How does a feminist teach?

How does a feminist teach?  I have been pondering this question
for many years, and would be interested in hearing other responses
to this question.  While I don't expect that any of my students are
or will become feminists, I know that my feminist stance makes
me a different kind of teacher.

Here's are some things I aim at, because I am a feminist, although
I am not always as successful as I would like to be:

	I work with students to make the place safe for everyone.

	I bring in content that reflects everyone's life, and deal with the
flack I get for it.

	I try to make space for people to work in ways they might not
work in other areas of their lives.  For example, I try not to ask
women in the class to help me manage the men's emotions.

	I assume anyone can show leadership in any part of the
program.

	I teach skills I expect people to use in the class, whether it be
how to make coffee, chair a meeting or be assertive about
maintaining their own space.  That way, people who don't have
certain skills, possibly because of their gender, can take a more
equal part.

	I acknowledge (often out loud) the differences in people's
experiences, knowledge and reactions, rather than ignoring them.
As one of my students said recently, "We all express our
sameness differently."

	I wouldn't like to say that only feminists share these goals, or
that all feminists do; just that I think of myself primarily as a
feminist, and have come to these ideas from that point of view.
Kate Nonesuch
Literacy Co-ordinator
Reading and Writing Centre
Malaspina University-College