[NIFL-WOMENLIT:815] Re: women and literacy

From: Sue Taylor (m0199400@cwcom.net)
Date: Thu Jun 22 2000 - 04:19:58 EDT

Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 04:19:58 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-womenlit@literacy.nifl.gov
From: Sue Taylor <m0199400@cwcom.net>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-womenlit@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-WOMENLIT:815] Re: women and literacy

> Welcome Silvia, Susan, Ella, Clara, Darnell,

Thank you for sharing your experiences with us. Yes, it is important for people everywhere to read  things like paychecks and so on.  It is also important to be able to add up the cost of your shopping to ensure that the money you are asked for is the correct sum or to read a bus timetable or a map.  That is real life.

You know I sometimes feel that we teachers forget what adult literacy is really about.  It is about enabling women and men to manage  their  lives.  Learning to read and write as an adult takes a lot of guts and hard work.. I also think that 'coming out' and admitting that you need help is one of the most difficult
things in the world to do.  I have heard so many students say, over the years, that they thought they were the only ones who could not read...  It is so much easier to say that you need to learn a foreign language and so on.

May I show your response to a group of learners here in London, England?  They are coming  to the end of their full-time course now which began in September.  They have all finished a huge portfolio full of work and are amazed at how much they have actually written - we are all so proud of them!  Next year most will be
able to join another course in a college.

I hope to hear from you all again soon,

Best wishes,

Sue Taylor