[NIFL-WOMENLIT:795] Re: Re Feminism

From: Monteiro, Marilyn (MMonteiro@doe.mass.edu)
Date: Tue Jun 20 2000 - 13:03:07 EDT

Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 13:03:07 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-womenlit@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Monteiro, Marilyn" <MMonteiro@doe.mass.edu>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-womenlit@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-WOMENLIT:795] Re: Re Feminism

I agree--it is too bad that the media can/will only focus on Charlie's
breast, but then again, they are "out there".
Of course bra burning had greater meaning then the mere tossing away of
one's undergarment as one of our members so pointed out in a previous
message--that bra burning symbolized one form of resistance by activist
women against their having been subject to multiple forms of constraint
fostered by social mores, rules, laws and in many cases actual physical
confinement against their will. You may recall that Gloria Steinheim, Joan
Baez, Florence Kennedy, Eleanor Holms Norton, and thousands of other women
joined the protest at that time.
Of course today we are older and gravity has reared its ugly  head, and so
we had to put our bras back on, but the resistance to male domination when
and where it occurs remains in our hearts, spirits and in our actions.

 Marilyn Monteiro,