[NIFL-WOMENLIT:765] Re: Violence

From: AWilder106@aol.com
Date: Mon Jun 19 2000 - 09:05:11 EDT

Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2000 09:05:11 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-womenlit@literacy.nifl.gov
From: AWilder106@aol.com
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-womenlit@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-WOMENLIT:765] Re: Violence

Dear friends,

Here we are, one week after the event in Central Park, and for the first time
the NYTimes is reporting this as a women's issue.  The headline in the
newsstory on page 20:  "17th suspect is Arrested In Sex Attacks In Central
Park."  Next to this story is one of opinion:  "Mob's Sexual Rampage in Park
Provokes Anguish on 2 Fronts."   The 2 fronts are NOW and the Bronx borough
president, Fernando Ferrer, who says:  "It's shocking to me why everybody is
so skittish...Haven't we all got our brains on straight?....Why aren't we
calling it what it is?  It's a crime. A hate crime."

I am including the remarks here to point up what we are up against,
societally, when we write, read, and do our literacy work.

Andrea