[NIFL-WOMENLIT:763] Re: Violence

From: AWilder106@aol.com
Date: Sun Jun 18 2000 - 21:32:02 EDT

Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2000 21:32:02 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-womenlit@literacy.nifl.gov
From: AWilder106@aol.com
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-womenlit@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-WOMENLIT:763] Re: Violence

Dear Friends:

I have followed with fascination the reports of the debacle in Central Park ,
New York, following the Puerto Rican Day parade, perhaps you have, too.  A
number of women were surrounded by gangs of men, assaulted, some stripped,
groped, fondled, and penetrated with fingers.  Apparently the police paid no
attention.  A couple of men in the crowds helped the women.  It has  really
come to public notice through the video tapes that people took of the action
which showed what happened and identified some of the perpetrators.  However,
as of yet, there has been no remarking of the fact that it was men on women
violence.  It simply hasn't been mentioned as something out of the ordinary,
or something that is shocking, by itself.  I only bring this up to point out
how pervasive violence is, and how acceptable.  Has anyone had conversations
with friends, students, about this?

Andrea