[NIFL-WOMENLIT:759] Our guest Speaker

From: Daphne Greenberg (ALCDGG@langate.gsu.edu)
Date: Fri Jun 16 2000 - 13:46:45 EDT

Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 13:46:45 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-womenlit@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Daphne Greenberg" <ALCDGG@langate.gsu.edu>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-womenlit@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-WOMENLIT:759] Our guest Speaker

Just a quick reminder that starting on Monday, June19th, Pat Blackwell will lead us in a discussion on female adult learners and leadership.  We did have a chance to talk on the phone about my email to the listserv, and as a result of our conversation, she would like to start off the discussion with the following questions:
1. What is your definition of feminism?
2. Why, in your opinion, would any woman want to be a feminist?
This is in addition to the previous question that I posted:
Why is it important for women to learn to read?
She will be running the discussion from Monday, June 19th, through Wednesday June 28th.
Pat is willing to share her experiences, her struggles, and her triumphs during her personal literacy route.  Please take the next few days to think of questions that you would like her to address.  Starting on Monday, you may post them and she will respond.
As a reminder, this is what she would like you to know about herself:
"I am a nurse in the PCU unit of the Bloomington
Hospital, that is a step-down unit from intensive care. We have heart monitors, and each person in our unit is having a heart attack or has had one.
I've worked there for 9 years.  I have 4 grown kids and 8 grandkids and one more due Oct.2000.  I am 56 years old and quit school after the 8th grade
reading at a 6th grade level, I had a tutor one on one for 4 years and could read good enough to go to nursing school.  I am the chair for Indiana
Literacy Coalition, for 2000 , I serve on the LLa board as student advisor and the VALUE board.  I speak all over the country to adults who need to
learn to read etc. and to schools and where ever I can."

Daphne Greenberg
Center for the Study of Adult Literacy
Georgia State University
University Plaza