[NIFL-WOMENLIT:707] Re: women's book group

From: Jana Freese (jafreese@hotmail.com)
Date: Mon May 15 2000 - 20:55:46 EDT

Date: Mon, 15 May 2000 20:55:46 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-womenlit@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Jana Freese" <jafreese@hotmail.com>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-womenlit@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-WOMENLIT:707] Re: women's book group

Marnie, my suggestion is that you get books that you can read to a group of
women as well as ones that they can read themselves. It is most likely that
these women did not have someone read to them when they were young, and it
is a relaxing, enjoyable luxuary.  A Women's Way of Knowing is a good book
about self actualization and learning about one's own knowledge that she can
offer others.  I use some of the passages to teach classes about
assertiveness, deserving, the right to say "NO" etc.  Choose books that
teach, set examples of independence,and fun even nonsense books that let
them laugh and not have to worry or "think."  Of course you probably would
like titles to go with these type of books.  I find art books particularly
soothing and quieting too.