[NIFL-WOMENLIT:643] Re: Men's involvement

From: JATDP@aol.com
Date: Thu Apr 06 2000 - 16:08:48 EDT

Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2000 16:08:48 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-womenlit@literacy.nifl.gov
From: JATDP@aol.com
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-womenlit@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-WOMENLIT:643] Re: Men's involvement

Anson,
Interesting that you would refer to "women only" as not creating a normal
environment as well as infer that groupings that are all *something* (men,
women, black, white) are polarizing. A woman-only group does not
automatically infer male-bashing in my mind.

I know there are strong opinions on both sides of the issue of positioning,
as you have named it, amongst groups who identify in culture, race, gender,
age, ablism, etc etc etc. I'm not here to take sides (as I believe that
indeed does polarize)  but to advocate for a variety of options.

I personally find comfort in, say, an all-women spiritual group because I
feel especiallly understood, accepted, connected. Certainly this doesn't mean
I hate men or would not benefit from spiritual discussions with men. I just
like to be with all women sometimes. Just as learning is also sometimes much
easier if you are in same gender classrooms. There are articulated
differences between the learning preferences of men and women (in general)
and some  learners find this more true than others. All options, then should
be available to suit the individual. Just as your students are happy with
mixed gender learning, our students were very happy with single gender
learning environments. Both work for different individuals.

To me, naming and exploring a particular attribute - male, female, brown,
white, Catholic, Muslim - is not polarizing. It is recognizing that we all do
have different perspectives, a rich mix, and we all sometimes need to be in
the comfort of familiarity and sometimes are required to speak up in
diversity. Ignoring our differences makes me feel a bit like we are trying to
make those differences invisible. Interesting, what you name as polarizing, I
name as making less invisible. We are so different!

How this all translates into classroom discussion would be a great thread to
follow!

Judy Titzel
Providence, RI

<<
 Creating  "women only" topics seems really detrimental to the construction
of a sense of "normalcy" for learners, especially learners who feel silenced
or disenfranchised by violence (Be it physical abuse or abusive systems.)
Polarizing "us and them" "mixed classroom/ women's classroom" seems to make
sense at first, but is this really creating a normal environment for learners
to work with the issues? >>

<<To conclude I really think we should consider shifting away from "us/them",
"people of color/white"," male/female" ,"rich/poor" dichotomies in this
field.  Considering your position within a group is crucial, and more should
be done to articulate "positionality" issues in the field through
professional development, but polarizing these areas may do more harm than
good.  It may simply recreate a subtle bigotry cloaked in intellectual
sensitivity toward "the other."  >>