[NIFL-WOMENLIT:604] great resource

From: Janet Isserlis (Janet_Isserlis@Brown.edu)
Date: Sat Mar 25 2000 - 15:16:35 EST

Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2000 15:16:35 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-womenlit@literacy.nifl.gov
From: Janet Isserlis <Janet_Isserlis@Brown.edu>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-womenlit@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-WOMENLIT:604] great resource

[cross posted to NIFL ESL and WOMEN lists]

Dear all,

Although I missed the presentation at the TESOL conference in Vancouver
last week ,  I was fortunate enough to find the URL for a website created
by Heide Wrigley, with assistance from Jim Powrie at Aguirre International.
The site, at  http://www.cyberstep.org/TESOL

links principles of language/literacy learning to specific websites through
which these principles are demonstrated/can be enacted.  I can't do the
site proper justice, I'm afraid, and don't want to create a long long post
when you should all just be going to the site right now.

Look, for example, at principle 12, about affect and learning, and then
link to the virtual tour of the women's shelter from Victims Services in
NY.  Take the quiz about domestic violence, take the virtual tour and see
how you might consider taking up the topic of violence generally with
colleagues, with learners.  This site makes very clear ways in which
authentic learning really can be just that -- by using 'real' websites that
'real' people use in the real world for information, entertainment, and
learning in very authentic ways.

I can't say enough about it - please go have a look.

(and, if you're interested in pursuing violence and learning, please have a
look at
http://www.brown.edu/Departments/Swearer_Center/Literacy_Resources/screen.html -
which has been revised since last I posted it)

thanks

Janet Isserlis
Literacy Resources/RI