[NIFL-WOMENLIT:586] Re: Women, Violence, and learning

From: Joellen Hiltbrand (hiltbrandlmc@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Mar 23 2000 - 01:19:08 EST

Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2000 01:19:08 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-womenlit@literacy.nifl.gov
From: Joellen Hiltbrand <hiltbrandlmc@yahoo.com>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-womenlit@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-WOMENLIT:586] Re: Women, Violence, and learning

I disagree that we should focus on "perps" in general.
The statistical evidence about who perpetrates sexual
violence against whom points out clear gender
patterns. This is not to dismiss sexual violence
perpetrated by women, but I don't think we should
pander to the fear that "men might get mad" if we
speak the truth about who's doing what to whom.

Support can be gained by discussing the effects of
violence upon men AS perpetrators, as well as
discussing the effects of violence against women --
not by trying to sidestep the truth.

I think part of the goal, as educators, is to develop
curriculum about dealing with the affective issues in
families and relationships relative to the pursuit of education.