[NIFL-WOMENLIT:581] Re: Women, Violence, and learning

From: AWilder106@aol.com
Date: Wed Mar 22 2000 - 16:04:52 EST

Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2000 16:04:52 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-womenlit@literacy.nifl.gov
From: AWilder106@aol.com
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-womenlit@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-WOMENLIT:581] Re: Women, Violence, and learning

Dear Judy,

I have been thinking about your questions all day.

For the last one, it seems that children who are victims either stop learning
or look to school as a haven and do not end up low literate.  I think that
the children you are talking about are poor, traumatized, and (potentially)
low literate.  The only answer is to treat the trauma.  If it is untreated
then they (hopefully) show up in adult literacy programs where again the
problem is to treat the trauma.  I say "hopefully" because of the numbers of
low literate traumatized adults who don't get to a program.  Again, the
trauma has to be treated.  This means psychological help.  It also means
education for the literacy providers on how to recognize and work with the
symptoms of trauma in the classroom, and to know how trauma distorts
learning.  It also means alternative learning, as in the use of martial arts
or art therapy.

On numbers:  1)  Herman (1992, 1997) reports that in a random sample of 900
women, 1 in 4 had been raped;  1 in 3 had been sexually abused in childhood.
2)  The Times yesterday gave a figure of 22% of women in the United States
who had been assaulted by an intimate partner over their lifetime.  India (of
the 6 countries cited) has a high of 40%.

I don't know of any figures (but you might) which look specifically at low
literate women.

What continually amazes me is our focus on women, who will continue to get
assaulted, violated, beaten, and the lack of focus on men--at least it seems
that way to me.  We will continue to pick bodies out of the river until we
ALSO focus upstream and stop them from being thrown into the water in the
first place.  This should be a male responsibility.  I don't hear male voices
speaking up on this--about male violence, and what to do about it.  Or am I
jaundiced?  Deaf?

Andrea Wilder