[NIFL-WOMENLIT:548] Potential Study

From: Theresa M. Nahim (tnahim@cmsv.edu)
Date: Wed Mar 15 2000 - 10:27:44 EST

Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2000 10:27:44 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-womenlit@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Theresa M. Nahim" <tnahim@cmsv.edu>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-womenlit@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-WOMENLIT:548] Potential Study

Hello everyone,
I'm new to the list.  I would really appreciate your feedback on the
following: 59% of the students in our workplace ESL program are female and
Hispanic. Their combined average age is 54; combined length of residence is
10.5 years. Half (9 out of 12) of these female students are in the Low
Beginning class. As a research project, I am contemplating a study of the
effects of age, length of residence, and social identity on the Hispanic
woman and their success or failure in learning a second language.  Pierce
had done a study with Canadian women and social identity in '95.  However,
preliminary research indicates that factors affecting age and language
learning for adults and adolescents have been done, but no such studies on
women much less the Hispanic woman have.  This thesis is still being
shaped, so please bear with me.  I am seeking to discover if there have
been, as Andres Munro has said, "improvements in language acquisition in
contexts, and the utility of that knowledge in other contexts, "  which is
difficult to measure.  I will use the women in the program for subjects and
use case studies as a research design.
I plan to focus on instructional practices such as oral and written
assessment and usage of English on the job, (all of the women are
housekeepers who have frequent interaction with staff and students) to
determine if this is motivation for a move to classroom learning. Students
currently are asked to complete a self-evaluation questionnaire at the end
of the semester.  Assessment will be extended to the women's supervisors
(all are English speaking) to obtain a sense of student's language use.
FYI- Instruction/learning takes place in groups of no less than five
students.
Students were identified by means of a placement and oral interview (the
latter was more instructive than the formal test). They were grouped
according to their skill level, tutor observation and semester progress
reports provided by tutors.  Any ideas you might have as to the "research
worthiness" of this study would be greatly appreciated.  If you have other
ideas relating to Hispanic women in the context of literacy education, I'd
be interested in hearing (reading) them also.  Please reply DIRECTLY to
tnahim@cmsv.edu  ALL comments are most welcome. Thank you.
Theresa M. Nahim
Director, ESL Employee Program
College of Mount Saint Vincent