[NIFL-WOMENLIT:506] Speaking Out: Women, Poverty, and Public Policy

From: Sondra Cuban (sondra_cuban@gse.harvard.edu)
Date: Wed Feb 23 2000 - 20:21:57 EST

Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2000 20:21:57 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-womenlit@literacy.nifl.gov
From: Sondra Cuban <sondra_cuban@gse.harvard.edu>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-womenlit@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-WOMENLIT:506] Speaking Out: Women, Poverty, and Public Policy

I am passing on this notice from another listserv to this one. I
went to the website and it looked really interesting to me... Sondra

Dear WMST-Lers:

    I am very pleased to announce that the entire book of papers from
the 1998 Univ.of Wisconsin System Women's Studies Consortium Conference:
SPEAKING OUT: WOMEN, POVERTY, AND PUBLIC POLICY, ed. by Katherine
A. Rhoades and Anne Statham is now available online. The direct URL is

http://www.library.wisc.edu/libraries/WomensStudies/speakingout.pdf

but you may wish to read some hints on navigating a "pdf" file first and do
better using as your starting point:

http://www.library.wisc.edu/libraries/WomensStudies/homemore.htm#bookpubs

    The collection of papers offer a variety of viewpoints on the topic of
welfare reform. The authors provide historical perspectives and policy
critiques, examine how welfare reform is taking place in various states in
the U.S.,
and report on what the idea of welfare means in other countries. Some
studies offer resources and strategies for teaching about poverty in the
classroom,
while others discuss the experience of welfare recipients, and some analyze
literary explorations of poverty. Several scholars speak from the viewpoint of
having themselves been poor and/or on welfare at some point.

Sincerely,
Phyllis Holman Weisbard

Sondra Cuban
Email: Sondra_Cuban@gse.harvard.edu
(NCSALL)Graduate School of Education, Harvard University
Nichols House, 7 Appian Way
Cambridge, MA 02138
(617)495-1712