[NIFL-WOMENLIT:435] Gender data in adult literacy

From: Daphne Greenberg (ALCDGG@langate.gsu.edu)
Date: Thu Jan 06 2000 - 10:14:28 EST

Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2000 10:14:28 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-womenlit@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Daphne Greenberg" <ALCDGG@langate.gsu.edu>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-womenlit@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-WOMENLIT:435] Gender data in adult literacy

Often, we hear people stating that in their literacy programs they have more women than men.  However, it may be that the percentage of women vs. men in programs is complicated by issues of age and ethnicity.  For example, back in November, on the NLA listserv, someone shared some gender based adult literacy/ESL statistics for the State of Georgia.   I would like to share with you portions of it, because  I think that it could generate some interesting conversation:
"Across the state, 16-18 year old black and white males are far more likely to attend adult ed programs than 16-18 year old black and white females.  19-24 year old black and white males are slightly more likely to attend adult ed programs than 19-24 year old black and white females.  After age 25, black and white females are far more likely to
attend adult ed than black and white males, and this continues right past age 60. However, among Asians, females are more likely to attend adult ed at all age levels except 60 and over, where males and females are equally represented.  Among Hispanics, males are more likely to attend adult ed up to age 45, after which females are more likely to attend."
Does anyone have any ideas which might help explain the differences?

Daphne Greenberg
Center for the Study of Adult Literacy
Georgia State University
University Plaza