[NIFL-WORKPLACE:3104] UK Policy Announcement on Workplace Basic Skills....

From: Frank, Fiona (f.frank@lancaster.ac.uk)
Date: Fri Nov 05 1999 - 19:59:46 EST

Date: Fri, 5 Nov 1999 19:59:46 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-workplace@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Frank, Fiona" <f.frank@lancaster.ac.uk>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-workplace@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-WORKPLACE:3104] UK Policy Announcement on Workplace Basic Skills....

Dear all

Having read so many announcements about the US government's stated policy on
workplace basic skills, including funding following the announcements, I am
pleased to announce that today  (sorry, yesterday, it's late!) the UK
government launched its new Adult Literacy strategy, 'Better Basic Skills'.

You can read about it, including the transcript of Baroness Blackstone's
speech, and the text of the leaflet circulated today at the launch in London,
on the UK Department for Education and Employment's lifelong learning website
on http://www.lifelonglearning.co.uk .

?17 m of new money.... a big commitment to workplace literacy.... development
of new standards.... development of new training for tutors.... development of
new tests.... [sic] ... development of a new curriculum..... funding the
Workplace Basic Skills Training Network including our Professional Development
programme for abe practitioners moving into workplace settings.... more money
for Union partnerships.... more money for community and family literacy
programmes....

best wishes to all
Fiona Frank

(PS - please could BVH or someone send me some simple instructions about how to
join this list again, that I can include in the forthcoming UK WOrkplace Basic
SKills Training Network bulletin?)  thanks!

Fiona Frank
Research Fellow
Coordination Manager, Workplace Basic Skills Training Network
CSET (Centre for the Study of Education and Training)
Lancaster University, Lancaster, LA1 4YL, England
email: f.frank@lancaster.ac.uk, tel 01524 592679, fax 01524 844788
website http://www.lancs.ac.uk/alpha