[NIFL-WORKPLACE:2934] helpful list hints - please read!

From: Barb Van Horn (blv1@psu.edu)
Date: Thu Sep 02 1999 - 08:59:01 EDT

Date: Thu, 2 Sep 1999 08:59:01 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-workplace@literacy.nifl.gov
From: Barb Van Horn <blv1@psu.edu>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-workplace@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-WORKPLACE:2934] helpful list hints - please read!

Dear Subscribers,

I haven't posted general instructions for using this list for 5 months, so
- for those of you who are fairly new to the list or seasoned veterans who
have lost the information - here are a few guidelines...

1. Ask your colleagues to join us; they can subscribe by sending an email
message to:  LISTPROC@LITERACY.NIFL.GOV

Leave the subject line blank.  In the message area, type:
     subscribe nifl-workplace yourfirstname yourlastname

Don't put anything else in the message such as your automatic signature.

On the other hand, perhaps you want to leave the listserv.  To do that,
also send a message to LISTPROC @LITERACY.NIFL.GOV.  In the message area,
type only:
       unsubscribe nifl-workplace

Don't put anything else in the message, not even your name or email address!

Perhaps the easiest way to subscribe (or unsubscribe), however, would be to
go to the NIFL home page at http://www.nifl.gov/.  Go to Forums/Listservs.
You will then see a heading "Subscribe to Listservs".  When you go there,
you will see a format for subscribing or unsubscribing to the lists.  The
advantage of this approach is that you can subscribe to more than one of
the lists at the same time.

2. Once subscribed, you can send messages to **everyone** subscribed to the
list by sending an email message to:  NIFL-WORKPLACE@LITERACY.NIFL.GOV
Please feel free to introduce yourself; ask a question; share an
instructional approach, assessment, materials, collaboration that has been
successful in your program; post a job announcement; etc.  As list
moderator, I love to hear from subscribers - and so do other subscribers!

3. If you want to send a personal message to a specific subscriber who
posted a message, please send it to the individual rather than to the list.
I've made the mistake of thinking I was sending it to an individual only to
see my message posted to the list -- this can be embarrassing!

4. If you want to send the moderator a message, send it to BLV1@PSU.EDU
(BTW, that's a "one" after the BLV...).  Let me know what you think of the
list, suggest topics for which we should have guest speakers, suggest other
ideas for generating discussion... I'm open to suggestion.  Also, let me
know if you are having problems posting or unsubscribing, etc.;  Lee Mann
(the list technical person) and I (the non-technical person) will do all we
can to help you.

5. Remember to sign your name and email address to messages.  Some of us
will see your email address in the heading, but others don't get that
information.  Also, it's helpful to have a name if you want to reply
(sounds funny to say "Dear BLV1" for example).

6. When replying to a specific message, please include **a portion** of the
original message to make it easier to follow the thread of conversation.

7. If you see a message that you'd rather not read, please just delete the
message!

8. Here's a useful command...  To receive a digest of messages (You will
get all of the messages, but they arrive in your e-mailbox compiled into
one message rather than as individual messages.  I like this function since
I get a lot of email!): Send a message to LISTPROC@LITERACY.NIFL.GOV.  In
the message, type:
       set nifl-workplace mail digest.

******************
Barbara Van Horn
NIFL-WORKPLACE List Moderator

Assistant Director
Institute for the Study of Adult Literacy
College of Education
The Pennsylvania State University
102 Rackley Building
University Park, PA 16802-3202
Phone:   814-863-3777
Fax:     814-863-6108
E-mail:  BLV1@PSU.EDU

Third graders' knowledge: "You can lead a horse to water but ... how?"