[NIFL-WORKPLACE:2918] THURSDAY NOTES

From: Barbara Van Horn (blv1@psu.edu)
Date: Thu Aug 19 1999 - 17:15:23 EDT

Date: Thu, 19 Aug 1999 17:15:23 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-workplace@literacy.nifl.gov
From: Barbara Van Horn <blv1@psu.edu>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-workplace@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-WORKPLACE:2918] THURSDAY NOTES

>From the Desk of Ronald S. Pugsley, Director, DAEL
Office of Vocational and Adult Education
Editor: Sarah Newcomb
Production: Rose Tilghman

August 19, 1999
___________________________________
CTC Panels Rate Nearly 750 Applications

Sixty-two panels of almost 200 experts from around the nation this August
rated the nearly 750 applications submitted to OVAE's Community Technology
Centers program. Taking a hint from the program, and to conserve funds for
grant awards, the panels used technology to conduct their business via
conference calls. Awards will be announced this fall. Contact
norris_dickard@ed.gov

More GED Earners Plan on Higher Ed

A new report from the GED Testing Service, Who Took the GED? shows that more
people who took the test plan to go on to higher education. The 1998 data
show that two out of three test-takers reported college plans, nearly double
the one in three planning on college 20 years ago. Also good news is that 5%
more test-takers earned the high school credential in 1998 than in 1997 when
requirements for passing first were raised.  Special accommodations for
disabilities increased 7%. To purchase the report, contact Lisa Richards
Hone at 202/939-9490. Download highlights from  http://www.gedtest.org/

Computers For Adult Learning A Hit at NFL

Adult learners using technology come in all shapes and sizes-and
occupations. According to the Associated Press (AP), the National Football
League joined the ranks of organizations using computers to train their,
well...workers. To boost their last place execution of key plays and game
plans, the New Orleans Saints tossed playbooks and picked up computers to
train their offense. Software permits players to draw out a route on a play.
When a player is wrong, the computer shows him where he should have gone.
Players can test themselves and programs chart time spent studying. AP
quotes tight end Cam Cleeland on the benefits of technology for learning:
``I can have this in front of me at all times. I can take it home. I can use
it on my television. I can take it with me on the plane on road trips. Who
needs to open a playbook ...when I'm one or two clicks away from learning?''
The New England Patriots and Dallas Cowboys followed suit.

A Fact Sheet from the Division of Adult Education and Literacy
Office of Vocational and Adult Education
OVAE Homepage http://www.ed.gov/offices/OVAE/