[NIFL-WORKPLACE:2874] Re: Workplace Education -New Program

From: learn (learn@sssnet.com)
Date: Mon Jul 26 1999 - 12:54:54 EDT

Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 12:54:54 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-workplace@literacy.nifl.gov
From: learn <learn@sssnet.com>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-workplace@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-WORKPLACE:2874] Re: Workplace Education -New Program

Peter MacMonagle wrote:

> Rachelle,
> I would like to recommend to you Joanne Spaleta at Carolinas Healthcare System here in Charlotte.  She was (recently) the educational liason and has experience setting up an educational program for the hospital.  You can probably reach her at 704-355-5963.
>
> Peter MacMonagle
>
> Peter MacMonagle
> Instructor
> Community Development/Workplace Basic Skills
> Central Piedmont Community College
> Charlotte, NC 28105
>
> peter_macmonagle@cpcc.cc.nc.us

> After reading the list entries for a while, I decided this might be an
> avenue to seek advice.  I am a Staff Development Consultant at a hospital
> with 2700 employees.  I have been broaching the subject of workplace
> literacy/basic skills education for a little over two years, but found that
> Administration didn't want to acknowledge a problem.  In the last six
> months, it appears that there is a little interest from HR.
>
> My thought is that I would write a proposal to Administration stating the
> apparent need and propose an assessment to determine actual need.  In the
> proposal I would list options, including proceeding with a program if the
> assessment deems it necessary.
>
> My question is - how have other business started their programs?  Where did
> the support start and how was it spread?  Who did you test (everyone,
> specific targeted employees, volunteers)?  Once established, are
> participating employees paid for their time?  Is it during their work time
> or before/after?  Is it voluntary or required?  What are the benefits to
> your company? Any other helpful information that I can use to garner
> support?
>
> I have been doing research, but examples of other companies who have done
> this and can document success would be helpful.
>
> You can reply to me directly at rdlehner@lexhealth.org
> <mailto:rdlehner@lexhealth.org>
>
> Thanks in advance for your thoughtful reflections.
>                 Rachelle Lehner
>                 Staff Development Consultant
>                 Health Directions
>                 Lexington Medical Center
>                 2720 Sunset Blvd.
>                 West Columbia, SC  29169
>                 (803)791-2113
>
>                 ...and the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud
> was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.              -anais nin

I regret that my first foray into the forum has to be this one, but I
must add a note about logistics.  Please don't just hit "reply" when you
get a message that you want to respond to;  if it is directed
specifically to one person, please direct it to their e-mail only.  Our
agency is on three list-serves and we get about 40 messages per day.  It
would help sigificantly if those specific messages did not come to us,
too.

Thanks for your help!

Erin Cassity
Project: LEARN of Summit County