[NIFL-WORKPLACE:2759] Re: WP literacy programs

From: Florence Harvey (fharvey@radix.net)
Date: Sat May 29 1999 - 10:42:38 EDT

Date: Sat, 29 May 1999 10:42:38 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-workplace@literacy.nifl.gov
From: Florence Harvey <fharvey@radix.net>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-workplace@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-WORKPLACE:2759] Re: WP literacy programs

There is a great multimedia, CD delivered instruction for adults in the
workplace (customized to certain industries) for OSHA Instruction (I was
particularly interested in the long term care industry)... It does not contain
separate literacy instruction but from my conversations with
owner/adminstrators of assisted living facilities I hear that low level
workers do very well because print and spoken instructions/testing are
simulaneous and they are learning from a need to know now on their job,
rather than a need to use information in some future possible scenario...  I
think research in reading shows that people who read a lot get better at it ..
so practice (especially coached with the oral translations) seems important as
a reading strengthening device.. and they get important content too...

The company is Fels and Associates in Wilmington NC. If you want to know more
about the long term care version,  call Susan Parker at 910-763-6755.