[NIFL-WORKPLACE:2710] Re: Software

From: Barb Van Horn (blv1@psu.edu)
Date: Fri Apr 30 1999 - 12:49:30 EDT

Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 12:49:30 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-workplace@literacy.nifl.gov
From: Barb Van Horn <blv1@psu.edu>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-workplace@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-WORKPLACE:2710] Re: Software

Karen,

You wrote:
>Our adult learning center serves ABE, GED, ESL, EvenStart and Workplace
>students.  We do have internet capability.  We are looking for new
>software.  If you had to choose only one or two pieces of software for this
>audience, what would it/they be?  We prefer personal experience to
>commercial advise.  Thank you.

I saw that someone on another list suggested using business applications --
word processing, database, and spreadsheet software. I agree that this
would be most useful as it can be tailored to the interests and needs of
diverse learners -- from adults with very limited skills developing
language experience stories or having email conversations with other
learners or instructors to GED students practicing essay writing. And,
that's just with the word processor. Practice math skills with the
spreadsheet -- make charts and graphs. Perfect for individualized
instruction and also works great for project-based learning.

******************
Barbara Van Horn
NIFL-WORKPLACE List Moderator

Assistant Director
Institute for the Study of Adult Literacy
College of Education
The Pennsylvania State University
102 Rackley Building
University Park, PA 16802-3202