[NIFL-POVRACELIT:625] Re: Quality Public Education is a Civil Rights Issue

From: Susan Nilsson (sjsusan@eudoramail.com)
Date: Sat Oct 20 2001 - 01:24:10 EDT

Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2001 01:24:10 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-povracelit@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Susan Nilsson" <sjsusan@eudoramail.com>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-povracelit@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-POVRACELIT:625] Re: Quality Public Education is a Civil Rights Issue

Thanks so much for the link to that article. We hear so much about how to improve schools using tactics that don't ever seem to focus on a person's right to a good education.

This quote especially caught my attention:
"In our vision, public education means quality public education for all students. Such an education remains an unfulfilled promise in this country."

It's a tragedy that what some people take for granted, some don't even get a chance to attain.

I'd love to hear accounts from people about how racism affects literacy levels and how literacy programs can address these inequalities.

Susan Nilsson
Student
San Jose State University