[NIFL-POVRACELIT:542] RE: Washington Post Article on the NALS

From: DEBBYDAM@aol.com
Date: Thu Jul 26 2001 - 11:09:47 EDT

Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2001 11:09:47 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-povracelit@literacy.nifl.gov
From: DEBBYDAM@aol.com
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-povracelit@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-POVRACELIT:542] RE: Washington Post Article on the NALS

Kudos to both Irwin Kirsch and Andy Hartman for their responses to the Post
article.  As both make clear, our field is about increasing the options of
adults to participate in meaningful and rewarding ways in an economy and
polity that demands a fairly high degree of facility with print---not to be
functional, but to be engaged and challenged to fulfill one's potential.
This debate is in many ways about our commitment as a society to support the
efforts of adults who seek, often in the face of formidable obstacles, to
continue to develop and improve their lives and the contribution they make to
the lives of others.  Anyone who doubts that failure to support adult
learners represents a huge missed opportunity for our society need only have
been at the second annual leadership institute of VALUE.  By the way, we
should applaud the commitment made by Andy Hartmann at that conference, to
continue NIFL's support of VALUE's organizational growth and development for
an additional two years.  Increasingly, as VALUE grows, our field will be
able to point to its achievments as testimony to the value of adult
education, and to the power of the voice of adults who make the commitment to
work on their literacy later in life.  DD