[NIFL-POVRACELIT:483] Survey Results

From: Mary Ann Corley (macorley1@earthlink.net)
Date: Sun May 13 2001 - 18:57:11 EDT

Date: Sun, 13 May 2001 18:57:11 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-povracelit@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Mary Ann Corley" <macorley1@earthlink.net>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-povracelit@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-POVRACELIT:483] Survey Results

To Subscribers to the NIFL-Povracelit list:

A few months ago, Dale Lipschultz and I invited you to complete a brief
survey, indicating what you do/do not find helpful about this list; topics
you would like to see included in the list; and, in general, how we might
improve the list to make it more responsive to your needs.  Although the
response rate was low (5%), respondents provided us with some valuable
information.

The survey results appear below.  We invite those of you who have not
responded to add your thoughts and comments now.  We will make every effort
to steer the discussion toward topics that are of interest to you.  We also
will be arranging for guest speakers.  Please share your ideas and help us
to make this listserv a valuable resource to you.

Thanks for your interest.

-Mary Ann Corley

categories listed below.)
* To learn more about the connection between literacy and other social
issues, particularly the connection(s) between low-level literacy and low
socioeconomic status and racial discrimination;
* To have a forum for discussion of issues;
* To learn from the attitudes and opinions expressed by others; to broaden
my outlook; to make me see things from different perspectives;
* To remain up-to-date on national literacy issues;
* To pose questions of importance to me and to get responses from the field.

2.  What do you like or have found most useful about this list?
* Opportunities related to funding and announcements about conferences;
* Having my beliefs challenged by others on the list;
* Practical information about teaching and about policy issues related to
poverty, racism, and literacy;
* Some of the thoughtful discussions, challenges, and questions;
* Information that helps me to develop my ideas on these topics.

3. How might this list be changed to be more useful to you?
* List should be clearly defined as either a place to examine attitudes, or
a place to discuss actions around issues of inequality, poverty, race, etc.
* Some folks could be a bit more brief and concise in their comments;
* Contributors should use accurate subject lines so that subscribers can
easily identify messages of interest.

4. Are there topics you would like to see added to this list?
* Information about funding opportunities;
* Ways others are dealing with issues such as racism;
* Information about effective and innovative program practices;
* Resources related to issues of poverty, racism, and literacy;
* References to pertinent journal articles and other publications;
* Ways programs have worked through/are working through these issues;
* How local programs respond to changes in their neighborhoods and target
populations;
* Information on education/training program models to serve low-income
populations.

5. Topics of interest to subscribers and those that subscribers would like
to see included on the list  (These are listed in rank order, with “1”
indicating the topic most frequently cited by respondents):

    (1) Successful strategies for facilitating the literacy growth of
persons living with the effects of         poverty and racism;

    (2) Examples of inclusive and anti-racist best practices in (check all
that apply):  the workplace         (100% of respondents);
    the community (80% of respondents);
    the library (50% of respondents);
    other (please specify):  apartment complexes (10%); school/college
(10%);

    (3) Research briefs and summaries on issues of poverty, racism, and
literacy;

    (4) References to resources (both print and web-based) on issues of
poverty, racism, multicultural     education, and literacy;

    (5) Examination of institutional practices (e.g.,hiring, training,
promotions, designation of service     areas) that are inclusive and
anti-racist;

    (6) Examples of successful community building and organizing around
issues of poverty, racism,     and literacy;

    (7) Strategies for a national “call to action” by the literacy field on
issues related to poverty,             racism, and literacy

    (8) Other (please specify):
        * more on LD/literacy in welfare population and education services
targeted at this population
        * more on impact of literacy on wages and on economy
        * more on LD/low literacy in prison population
        * info on serving low income adult males
        * info on overcoming past criminal records/felonies
        * info on families (structure, size, type) and how it relates to
incidence of poverty.

    (9) Examination of instructional program practices (e.g., selection of
materials,
    learner assessment, instructional strategies) that are inclusive,
multicultural, and anti-racist.

6.  Would you like guest speakers on the list?   Yes (60% of respondents)
Subscribers’ recommendations for guest speakers included the following:
bell hooks;
Jonathan Kozol;
Cherry Steinwender, Director, Center for the Healing of Racism;
Marian Wright Edleman;
Rod Paige, Secretary of Education;
Guest speakers with knowledge/expertise on literacy programs in prisons and
with knowledge/expertise on technology access for persons living in poverty