[NIFL-POVRACELIT:400] Re: Re Searching for UNational (Urban) Models

From: GEORGE E. DEMETRION (gdemetrion@juno.com)
Date: Mon Feb 12 2001 - 22:07:18 EST

Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 22:07:18 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-povracelit@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "GEORGE E. DEMETRION" <gdemetrion@juno.com>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-povracelit@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-POVRACELIT:400] Re: Re Searching for UNational (Urban) Models

 Hi:

Thanks to Lisa, Steve and Debbie for their recent comments.  Steve
presented
 an historical overview of the project and I will attempt to address
Lisa's comments in another message.  here I'd like to stay focused on the
pedagogical issues raised by  Debbie, which extend well beyond our
program, but point to community-based programming in general.

Hanna Fingeret addressed this issue in 1984 in an ERIC publication where
she contrasted community-based programming with more traditional venues
like ABE classrooms and one-to-one volunteer tutoring programs.  (I'm
working from memory, though the text is hidden somewhere here in my
dungeon).  In this scheme community-based programming would reflect a
progressive pedagogy linking literacy to the highly particular issues
that individuals were dealing with in a particular social context and
such work, typically, would emerge through collaborative rather than
individual efforts.  Pushing that model a bit more, there would be less
of a focus on systematic language development and much more attention on
the issues raised within the community context to which formal language
work would clearly subordinate. There was a strong emphasis in Fingeret's
early work on the importance of social networks and an emphasis on
exchange where, as as equal partners, those who may have needed some help
with literacy, would provide assistance to their "teachers" or to the
community in other ways.

 In her 1989 work with Paul Jurmo, Participatory Literacy Education,
there seems to be a subtle and far from complete shift in her work away
from critical literacy in the Freirian vein toward an embrace of
self-directed learning, through which did stem from Freire's critique of
banking education where knowledge is "deposited" into the empty minds of
learners, Certainly in that work there is an emphasis on the importance
of student groups and collaboration, as well as a contextual approach to
learning, but the emphasis is on the literacy environment rather than the
social environment of community-based organizations and the subordination
of literacy to the social purposes of such organizations.

 As Fingeret began her massive study of what was then, Literacy
Volunteers
of New York City, the shift became even more pronounced away from
critical literacy toward an emphasis of literacy practices--the
utilization of literacy within varied social and cultural
contexts--particularly of the individual as indicative in her latest work
with C. Drennon, Literacy for Life.  In this latest development there is
clearly an emphasis on the emergence of a "literacy identity" and the
various stages involved in its internalization.  The social and cultural
context of such an identity, as in her earlier work, is clearly laid out
in this latter work, as is the emphasis on self-directed learning, though
there is less (hardly?) any emphasis on social networks and the exchange
model that characterized her earlier work.  In this latest work,
attaining literacy, though for self-defined and highly contextual social
as well as individual purposes, is the main thing and that also
represents an important shift in Fingeret's thinking, though, which may
only reflect the different groups that she's studied over the past two
decades.

 This is a long prelude to the issues I'd like to address, in thinking
through the viability of a Freirian-based pedagogy, within the context of
community-based organizations.  I'll avoid discussion of the broad
context of community-based agencies in the U.S. and stay focused on a
place called Hartford, CT. While there are a few more radical-like
organizations in Hartford, I would say that with one significant
exception, the groups we are working with are largely apolitical in the
ideological sense even though they may be involved in local politics in
the sense of seeking to gain increased allocations of resources for their
agencies.  Still, in terms of a broad-based ideology, they would reflect
a mainstream focus, though with variations.  That does not mean that
there is not scope for some local action, though, I would suggest, of a
highly limited nature.  By and large with the students and agencies we
are working with the dominant focus in our collaboration is the
development of literacy and English language skills. That is the main
purpose for our being on site. (Steve, if I'm off base on this or if you
see it differently, let us know).

On this reading, though the students largely live in the neighborhoods of
the community agencies we're working with or have a connection with them
in other ways than geography, their goals and aspirations are not that
different (if at all?) than those who are at our centralized reading
center, which is the main program of LVGH.  There, reflecting the insight
of  Fingeret and Drennon, the goals are largely individualistic with the
emphasis on developing a "literacy (or ESOL) identity," though for social
as well as for individualistic purposes.  That is, in one way or another
they have accepted what the historian of literacy, Harvey Graff, refers
to as "the literacy myth," that somehow literacy transforms lives in
significant ways.  As we know, this myth is pervasive throughout the
adult literacy community and is something that I've attempted to address
in my work.  I agree with Graff that literacy in itself, particularly
short of the GED, does not lead to upward mobility, though I am also in
profound agreement with Fingeret and Drennon on the many substantial
values, both tangible and intangible of adult literacy education.  That
is, with Graff, I accept the concept of the "literacy myth," and agree
with him that there is more than an element of false consciousness within
it-hence, the enduring importance of the Freirian perspective.  However,
I take a more benign approach to the literacy myth, which I view as an
essential myth (myth being used here as neither true nor false, but a
world view) in moving the process forward among individuals in the hard
work of developing a literacy identity, which can have many benefits for
individuals even though it does not result in class reconstruction.  Some
of my past research as well as several articles coming out this year,
address this issue.  See in particular the 1998 essay, "A Critical
Pedagogy of the Mainstream," published in the Adult Basic Education
journal.  This can be found on line at:
http://www.nald.ca/fulltext/a-cde.htm#D

 A new essay, likely to come out in the spring or summer edition of ABE
titled, Motivation and the Adult New Reader:  Case Studies in Literacy in
a Deweyan Vein," also addresses this issue. The point being that the
sharp dichotomy  that Fingeret depicted in 1984 between community-based
and more traditional programs perhaps needs to be attenuated,
particularly in the conservative setting of a place called Hartford, CT.

 Still, I do not want to leave things here.  Having laid out the
importance of a literacy practices approach grounded upon the quest for a
"literacy identity," which I think is a reasonable interpretation of what
many folks seek through our program, I also believe there is room both
for more critical as well as more functional perspectives that can be
embedded within such a paradigm, even if subordinate to what most
students would view as the main work of learning how to read and write
and/or speak and understand English.  I'll finish this with a short
passage of an article I've been working on that speaks to some of these
issues, which I believe has relevance both to community-based and more
mainstream programs.  Here's the> passage:

 Given a context grounded in a liberal and sometimes reformist political
culture in which democracy is very much enmeshed with corporate consumer
capitalism, it is difficult to be sanguine about any near-term prospect
of a transformative politics of literacy linked to an emancipatory vision
of social justice and equality within mainstream North American settings.
Given also an ethos of individualism and self-realization as a powerful
cultural value difficult for adult literacy learners not to internalize,
it would be hard-pressed for programs like LVNCY not to focus on life
improvement as a major instructional project.  Shorn of its more radical
polemic, which remains useful as a utopian boundary in a political
culture that espouses the ideals of equality, social justice, and
inclusive pluralism, as well
as for programs able to take a more radical tact, Auerbach's project may
be grafted onto a reformist vision.  This would prove more congruent with
the liberal stand of mainstream political culture, which would also
result in wider appeal among such programs that do emphasize life
improvement as the primary purpose of adult literacy education.  While
cooptation is always a dilemma, such an ideological shift could extend
the literacy as practice emphasis on self-realization identified by
Fingeret and Drennon and still result in significant change for
ndividuals affected, even though this macro structure remains largely
intact.  An example is Auerbah's (1989) discussion of family literacy as
parents develop skills to interact with the school system based on their
terms rather than terms determined by school personnel.

 "The classroom becomes a place where parents can bring school-related
issues and develop the ability to understand and respond to them.  They
can xplore their attitudes toward their own and their children's school
experiences. They can assess what they see and determine their responses,
rehearse interactions with school personnel, and develop support networks
for individual and group advocacy" (p. 178).

 Such critical literacy can be logically grafted onto a life improvement
focus in emphasizing issues where people live, linked to equity, voice,
and access at home, workplace, and community settings.

 There is room here for progress of a reconstructive nature.  What do
others think?

 George Demetrion
 Literacy Volunteers of Greater Hartford
 Gdemetrion@msn.com
 Gdemetrion@lvgh.com
 Gdemetrion@juno.com

Models

> > I don't know if George and others have seen an artilce written in the
> 1980s by Steve Reder and others regarding "Giving literacy Away."  It
is a vision for community based literacy that draws on using adult
learner networks and helpers, as described by Fingeret and others,  as
literacy tutors or
peer teachers.  The issue with moving literacy out of the adult education
classroom or tutoring environment seems to be providing enough materials,
training, and support to individuals or non-literacy organizations so
that they can take this on,. with help from literacy practitioners.  The
question is, as George has stated, how much help, when, and from whom,
and how can we help such organizations get to the place where they own
what they are doing? Again, this is something ALMA is wrestling with.  We
have found that working intensively with organizations (though we can
only do this with a small number) on an issue that is critical for them,
and working our materials, training and technical assistance into the
solution of that project is> helping us understand what it takes to move
literacy into new places.

We are currently working with about 12 of our hubs in this way, and hope
learn from them strategies and approaches that will help us elsewhere.
For example, we are working with training programs that did not have any
literacy component to integrate TV411 materials into their existing work;
we are providing intensive training and technical assistance to a small
cbo program that uses community volunteers on portfolio assessment; we
are working with an adolescent Frierian literacy program on helping
participants create their own videos; we are working with health
educators on creating materials for> community outreach and education
that build literacy learning into their> work.  All of this places us
more in the arena of informal learning, situated> learning as Wenger and
Lave call it, apprenticeships, etc.  If literacy is to reach more adults
with greater authentic power, we believe this is the  direction we need
to understand and move in.  DD