Skip Navigation

Is there a program in my area that can assist in starting a child care program or that gives technical assistance to child care providers? Who can I call to get help starting my child care program?


Your State lead child care agency responsible for subsidizing child care programs can tell you if funds are available to help you start a new child care program or expand your existing one, and how to apply. To locate the lead agency in your state, visit the web site

There are many local Child Care Resource and Referral (CCR&R) agencies that provide information about child care in local communities and about financial assistance and funding opportunities. CCR&Rs can also help you learn more about provider support organizations, training, marketing, business practices and more. You can find out about local CCR&Rs by contacting Child Care Aware (CCA), toll free at: 1-800-424-2246 or on the web at

The National Child Care Information Center (NCCIC), funded by the Child Care Bureau, has information about national, state, and local resources for child care providers. Visit for details. The NCCIC also offers information on how to run an excellent child care program, as well as on public and private partnerships, tax supports and other issues related to child care services and systems. You can contact the NCCIC toll free at 1-800-616-2242 or at

The following organizations may have more information about grants available to small business owners:

  • U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA)
    SBA provides a number of financial help programs for small businesses, including grants and loans. Call SBA at 800-827-5722 or visit the Web at for more information.
  • Rural Housing Services (RHS)
    U.S. Department of Agriculture
    In some States and local areas, the Community Facilities Program, administered by RHS, offers financial support to expand the availability of community facilities (e.g., child care facilities) for public use in rural areas. Call RHS at 800-414-1226 or visit the Web at for more information.
  • Community Development Block Grant (CDBG)
    U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development
    The CDBG program provides States with annual grants to help expand affordable housing and economic opportunities, and/or improve community facilities and services, such as child care programs. In some States, grants are given to people starting or operating child care businesses. Contact information for State and local CDBG grantees is available on the Web at
  • The Child Care Microenterprise Toolkit (2006), published by the Child Care Bureau, has information about small business investment opportunities for child care business owners. It includes tip sheets for small businesses about individual development accounts, micro-loans, and related resources. This resource is available on the Web at The Child Care Microenterprise Program Directory, available on NCCIC Web site at, includes information about organizations that help child care providers learn about issues related to small business and asset building.

For additional child care provider information from across the Federal government you may also wish to visit the following sites: