Click here to skip navigation Home  |  Subject Index  |  Important Links  |  Contact Us  |  Help

U.S. Office of Personnel Management - Ensuring the Federal Government has an effective civilian workforce

Advanced Search

Insurance Services Programs

Federal Employees Health Benefits Program

Frequently Asked Questions

Insurance Main





Frequently Asked Questions About Coverage for Survivor Annuitants

A. If you should die while enrolled for Self and Family, all survivors who meet the definition of “family member” will automatically be able to continue your enrollment as long as any one of them receives a survivor annuity.

Some Federal Employees’ Retirement System (FERS) survivors may be entitled to continue their health benefits enrollment even if they will not receive a monthly survivor annuity benefit. Widow(er)s who are entitled to receive the FERS Basic Employee Death Benefit and child survivors whose FERS survivor annuity benefits are reduced by the amount of any Social Security benefit payable may continue their health benefits enrollment by paying premiums directly to us, if they are entitled to continued health benefits coverage.

A. Yes, you can request an enrollment change during the open season. You can make an enrollment change outside of the open season: if you moved out of the service area of your plan, when you become eligible for Medicare, and if your child loses health insurance coverage under another plan. These enrollment opportunities are listed in the RI 79-2, Information for Retirees and Survivor Annuitants, at

A. No. If you remarry, your new spouse and his/her children cannot receive health benefits coverage under your survivor annuitant enrollment. If, however, you are a widow(er) survivor annuitant who is also receiving an annuity based on your own Federal career or who is a current Federal employee, you may be eligible to transfer your enrollment to your retirement annuity or your employing agency in order to provide coverage for your new spouse and his or her children.

A. As long as one of the family members is entitled to a survivor annuity, the children are eligible for FEHB coverage until they marry, reach age 22, or no survivor is eligible for a survivor annuity. It is the child's responsibility to notify OPM if he/she marries before age 22. If the child's marriage ends before age 22, the child may again be eligible for coverage. Children over age 22 are eligible to continue FEHB coverage if disabled prior to age 22 and are incapable of self support. Contact OPM at 1-888-767-6738 for information about reenrollment.

A. If you remarry before age 55, your health benefits enrollment will end on the last day of the month preceding the month in which you remarry. However, if you were married for 30 years or more to the deceased employee or annuitant, your health benefits enrollment will continue. If you are enrolled in self-and-family coverage when your annuity ends, the enrollment will continue for any eligible children as long as one of them is entitled to receive a survivor annuity (but you will not be covered).