Purpose of This PDQ Summary
This PDQ cancer information summary for health professionals provides comprehensive, peer-reviewed, evidence-based information about the genetics of breast and ovarian cancer. This summary is reviewed regularly and updated as necessary by the Cancer Genetics Editorial Board.
The following information is included in this summary:
- Family history and other risk factors for breast and ovarian cancer.
- Models for predicting breast cancer risk.
- Major genes associated with breast and ovarian cancer risk.
- Screening and risk modification for hereditary breast and ovarian cancer.
- Psychosocial issues associated with hereditary breast and ovarian cancer and genetic testing.
The summary also contains level-of-evidence designations. These designations are intended to help readers assess the strength of the evidence in relation to specific studies or strategies. A description of how level-of-evidence designations are made is described in detail in the PDQ summary Cancer Genetics Overview.
This summary is intended to provide clinicians a framework for discussing genetic testing, screening, and risk modification options with individuals at risk for hereditary breast and ovarian cancer, as well as for making referrals to cancer risk counseling services. It does not provide formal guidelines or recommendations for making health care decisions. Information in this summary should not be used as a basis for reimbursement determinations.
Back to Top
Next Section >