National Institute for Literacy

[FocusOnBasics 580] What would you put on an ABE learner's computer?

PHCSJean.34425698 at bloglines.com PHCSJean.34425698 at bloglines.com
Fri Dec 22 13:57:34 EST 2006

Hi all.
My program has been blessed with a bunch of used computer donations
from the Cristina Foundation. Before you get excited, these are older computers
from companies and individuals who have upgraded. For more info, go to cristina.org
if you'd like to get some for your program.

We initially used them to set
up a lab in our center, and have been giving the extras away. Since I still
have extras, I would like to give some to my pre-literate Liberian refugee
senior citizen ABE students to practice their skills when they are away from
class.

We typically reformat the computers with Windows and Microsoft Works
and an antivirus/spyware program. They will have a standard internet connection,
which we'll have to show the learners how to use.

What I'm looking for
from you are some recommendations of websites or freeware you use in your
center with your most basic level adults. If you know of some fabulous program
that costs money, let me know about it and I'll see what I can scrounge up
in the way of grant money. We are working as an all volunteer, no budget organization
so I'm ideally looking for website recommendations or better still, stand
alone software so they just need to point and click and won't need to deal
with the internet.

Thanks for your ideas!
Jean Marrapodi
Providence Assembly