National Institute for Literacy

[FocusOnBasics 372] Re: FOB article on self-esteem

Hal Beder hbeder at rci.rutgers.edu
Tue Jun 27 13:35:40 EDT 2006

The students in Ana's study had been in the program various amounts
of time. Some were relatively new, some were old timers. Most
people are "nervous" when they undertake something new and
difficult. I suspect that everyone who reads this has experienced
that kind of anxiety. Indeed, as someone who teaches doctoral
students, I know that even the most educated experience anxiety until
they become familiar with the situation. Initial anxiety is not the
same as low self-esteem, however, as self-esteem is generally
considered to be a relatively stable trait, not something that
fluctuates. Remember, the students in Ana's study were voluntary
learners; they at least had enough self-confidence to
participate. Other research has shown that low-self esteem is a
barrier to participation in adult literacy, so it may be that
low-literate adults who lack self-esteem just don't enroll. I don't
think the implication of Ana's work is that teachers should not be
warm and supportive. All adult educators, regardless of what and who
they teach, should be supportive. To me the implication is that
beliefs that adult literacy students have abnormally low self-esteems
because they have lived failed lives supports the stigma of adult
literacy. In any case, Ana is out of the country now. I hope that we
can revisit this discussion when she returns.