National Institute for Literacy

[FocusOnBasics 312] Re: Reflections on Video as a Professional Development Tool

David Rosen djrosen at comcast.net
Tue Jun 6 08:36:28 EDT 2006

Hello Julie, Jessica, and others

As a teacher in training I was videotaped in 1969. VHS was relatively
new then, but it was widely used in the University of Massachusetts
Graduate School of Education. There was a protocol called
_Microteaching_, which had been developed by Dwight Allen at Stanford
in the mid 1960's, before he was the Dean of Education at UMass
Amherst. For some information on Microteaching, see:
[ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microteaching ]
[ http://fdc.fullerton.edu/learning/CASTL/
carnegie_microteaching_materials.htm ]

I remember getting three kinds of useful feedback ("feedback" was new
jargon in education then):

1) seeing myself teach (not an entirely positive experience);
2) getting comments from other teacher trainees and a master teacher;
and
3) getting comments from the students who were videotaped about what
they thought I was trying to do, how effective it was, and what was
happening from their perspectives.

Some of the comments from students were especially helpful. I
realized that I was reaching only about half of the class and that,
while my (very oral) presentation style of presentation worked well
for them, it wasn't working for the others. That caused be to ask
some good questions like: What other styles of teaching and learning
are there? What do we know about the match of teacher styles of
presentation and student styles of learning? Is it possible for a
teacher to learn or strengthen other styles? And so on.

I also remember that it was important to have a structured process,
where the teaching/learning objectives were clear at the outset, and
were a main reference point for the comments later.

Finally I remember thinking that this "slice of teaching" approach
also had its limitations and wasn't representative of the actual ebb
and flow of the classroom teaching process over time.

David J. Rosen
newsomeassociates.com
djrosen at comcast.net