National Institute for Literacy

[FocusOnBasics] Welcome to our discussion with Robin Schwarz!

Hugo Galindo hgalindo at carlosrosario.org
Wed Feb 15 14:35:51 EST 2006

Robin

I am in Washington DC and I am working with a large number of adult
immigrants with very limited academic background and in many cases
illiterate.

I have many questions but I would like to focus on two burning questions at
this time:

1) Where can we draw the line between illiteracy and learning disability?

2) Is it pedagogically sound to teach how to read and to write in their
native language before attempting to teach English as a second language?

Thank you for your thoughts and ideas.

Hugo