National Institute for Literacy

[FocusOnBasics 547] Re: Counselors/counseling services

Katrina Hinson KHinson at future-gate.com
Mon Oct 30 19:42:52 EST 2006

I also think you'll find that the states are going to differ from state
to state on "counselors". Some community college programs in NC have a
counselor for their ABE/AHS/GED program but then some do not and are
told to utilize curriculum counselors where the student may or may not
get the same kind of understanding and support needed.

Katrina

>>> "Dee George" <dgeorge at cabell.lib.wv.us> 10/30/2006 12:47 pm >>>

In many states, ABE and Literacy Programs are 2 different programs. As
far
as I know, Literacy Councils don not require or have
a counselor on staff. Many are lucky just to be able to afford one or
two
employees. ABE Programs, on the hand, under the state
Dept. or Education, usually have a counselor available through the
local
post-secondary vocational school.

Deidra (Dee) M. George, Director
Tri-State Literacy Council