National Institute for Literacy

[FocusOnBasics 532] Re: [LearningDisabilities 685] CROSSPOSTING - National Institute for Literacy Launches International Perspective Webpages

Bonnita Solberg bdsunmt at sbcglobal.net
Tue Oct 17 10:05:14 EDT 2006

Hello All: I have a different take on the Director
General's remarks. It seems evident that the
"commitment of national governments" is vital for a
literacy program to move forward. Given that some or
all of the governments have established methods and
ideas of schooling, it appears essential that any
UNESCO program begin with what is in place to "give
space for methods and approaches to develop at local
level, with full input from learners themselves."
Experience in the US with students from a variety of
countries, pre-literate through literate students in
both an alphabet and non-alphabet based
languages--students who have experienced a variety of
methods and ideas of schooling--we have come to
understand, sometimes painfully, that student
expectations of classroom experiences cannot be
ignored, or we will lose them in the process. It may
takes years of exposure to alternate methods, and most
often building a sense in the classroom that students
have valid input into their educational process,
before students begin to accept and profit from
alternate methods. I for one would not want to deny
full input from the learners themselves. For example,
moving from an authoritative classroom leadership to
inclusion of students in decisions that affect their
learning process is a major, and hard won, victory for
ESL teachers. I view the Director General's statement
as a diplomacy guide for UNESCO providers of literacy
that will reap rewards by inclusion rather than
exclusion of the population to be served. Respect for
people and the rich culture they bring to the
classroom is a basic if literacy programs are to be
successful.

Bonnita Solberg, Teacher
Oakalnd Unified School District

.

--- John Nissen <jn at cloudworld.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi all,

> Following up on the NIFL webpages, I looked up the

> UNESCO initiative to

> reduce illiteracy in the UN Literacy Decade, 2003 -

> 2012, and read this in

> the message* from the Director General:

> Literacy is best acquired in ways that are consonant

> with the local context;

> in our efforts to make literacy universally

> available, therefore, we must be

> careful not to propose solutions which impose one

> way of acquiring literacy.

> With the unreserved commitment of national

> governments, the Decade must give

> space for methods and approaches to develop at local

> level, with full input

> from learners themselves. The notion of 'literacy as

> freedom' points to the

> way that the acquisition and practice of literacy

> can enhance the capacity

> to lead a free and more fulfilled life.

> It seems that this notion that different methods of

> teaching literacy must

> be used in different contexts, and depend on input

> from learners, is

> accepted at the highest levels. Yet it is a l> good

methods and bad methods, period. A good method

http://portal.unesco.org/education/en/ev.php-URL_ID=27158&URL_DO=DO_TOPIC&URL_SECTION=201.html

http://www.cloudworld.co.uk/teaching-synthetic-phonics.htm

(<http://www.nifl.gov/nifl/international/intro.html>)