National Institute for Literacy

[FocusOnBasics 527] Re: Low Self-Esteem: Myth or Reality? Some comments

robinschwarz1 at aol.com robinschwarz1 at aol.com
Mon Oct 2 11:29:12 EDT 2006

This reminds me of a study out of Kentucky not too long ago where a new
science teaching program was being tried out on two classes in a high
school. THe two teachers were given the same training and for all
intents and purposes, the students were of similar background and
education--they were not divided for the purposes of the trial of the
program. At the end of the year, one class had done extremely well on
the program, while the other had done rather poorly. Those studying
the situation finally concluded that the only factor that differed
signficantly between the two classes was the attitudes/expectations of
the teachers-- the teacher of the successful class expected that her
students would do well with the new program, while the other teacher
had openly expressed her doubt that her students would be able to
manage it--and they didn't. This is known in psychology, I believe,
as the Pygmalion effect-- you become what your teacher expects you to
become. Robin Lovrien Schwarz ( I am in the throes of moving and
cannot dig up that reference just now--will do so if anyone is
interested-- try me in 2 weeks. Robin )