National Institute for Literacy

[FocusOnBasics 525] Re: Observations vs. research

Muro, Andres amuro5 at epcc.edu
Sat Sep 30 16:56:49 EDT 2006

Tom:

I agree with you. In fact, another way to state what you say is that scientific experiments do not prove anything to be true. Rather they falsify or are unable to falsify a claim. So, the research does not prove that there is no difference in the self esteem of the two groups looked at. Rather, the researcher could not find evidence to disprove the claim that there is a difference. Or, the researcher could not falsify the claim that there is no difference between the two groups.

Moreover, the claim that science is objective is subjective. the judgements are subjective, the reseach instruments are subjective. In other words, before the scientist makes the experiment, she must develop questions. The questions are not given in nature, rather she develops them using logic. The issues to be researched is also slelected by the means of logic and making a judgement. That means that the mind is making subjective judgements to conceive the experiment and during the performance of the experiment.

this is not to say that science is useless. It simply means, as as Bonita, tom and Julie suggest, that research results have to be understood in context and within the limitations of science. while applying practitioner's wisdom to them. By the same time token, practitioner's wisdom does not mean any wild guess that a teacher may want to make or any illogical analisis. It means that teachers' critical and well founded analises have value in understanding research in the context of practice.

Andres