National Institute for Literacy

[FocusOnBasics 520] Re: Observations vs. research

Bonnita Solberg bdsunmt at sbcglobal.net
Fri Sep 29 10:22:11 EDT 2006

I was honored and pleased to be one of two teachers
chosen to represent California at the Northwest
Practitioner and Research Knowledge Institute at
Portland State University two years ago. Research
from the University Lab School was presented;
practitioners were encouraged to use research results
in their classroom. The research I was most
interested in was small group interactions; the
results stated that when a teacher enters a small
learning group the students make one of two
adjustments: either they return to the easiest part of
the task or they interrupt the task to ask the teacher
a question. My observations in the classroom did not
support those findings; they are published in Research
Brief No.5/Teacher Research at
http://www.calpro-online,org/.
The Pair Work Web Log is at
http://calpronwpkipairtwork.blogspot.com/
I am convinced that practitioner wisdom has an equal
footing with research in guiding strategies, theory
and methods, and that published research can and
should be informed by Practitioner Knowledge.
Teachers in the classroom are obligated to look at
research results with a critical eye and to question
results that do not match their experience. To do so
is also a bold and necessary step that, together with
research results, will enrich the field. Bonnita
Solberg

--- Julie McKinney <julie_mcKinney at worlded.org>