National Institute for Literacy

[FocusOnBasics 512] Re: Low Self-Esteem: Myth or Reality?Somecomments

Doris Nord dnord at jflp.org
Thu Sep 28 11:57:39 EDT 2006

I would argue that there is a difference in working with adults,
particularly those with traumatic histories.

I work with women trapped in multi-generational poverty. Most of them
come with a legacy of poor health, addiction, and violence. Many have
been convinced of their inability to succeed through decades of being
called stupid and worthless, and existing in a society that confirms
their lack of self worth. Largely, they have "become" their mistakes,
instead of being able to move forward in life. I believe they are in
need of constant praise, whether it is for getting 100% on a math test
or simply showing up for school on a rainy day. It takes a lot of
positive reinforcement to undo so many years of negativity.

Dorrie Nord,

GED Coordinator

Julie's Family Learning Program

133 Dorchester Street