National Institute for Literacy

[FocusOnBasics 500] Re: Low Self-Esteem: Myth or Reality? Some comments

Hal Beder hbeder at rci.rutgers.edu
Wed Sep 27 08:21:00 EDT 2006

Andres, I am not aware of any evidence to the
affect that self-esteem is influenced by
genetics. By and large it is a product of life
experience. As you point out, some--Freire for
example--believe that low self-esteem is a social
construction. It is one of those mechanisms that
keep the oppressed in a state of
oppression. Others would focus more on the
family. To me, however, the most important point
is that low-self esteem can be treated. The
question is how. One school would argue that
lots of social support and positive feedback is
the way. The problem with this is that it can
lead to a very condescending attitude, a focus on
deficit, and indirect reinforcement of the
literacy stigma. The other way to "treat"
low-self-esteem is simply by helping learners to
be successful. Success is the most powerful antidote to low self-esteem.

Over thirty years ago, Last gamble on Education
(Mezirow, Darkenwald & Knox) found that the
characteristic that directors most sought in
hiring teachers was a warm, pleasant
personality. It mattered less whether they could
TEACH. I think this is true today to a certain
extent. In my view, this value is misplaced. If
we want to enhance self-esteem the way to do it
is to hire teachers who care more than anything
about their learners progress and know how to produce it.