National Institute for Literacy

[FocusOnBasics 499] Re: Low Self-Esteem: Myth or Reality? Some comments

Barbara Garner b.garner4 at verizon.net
Wed Sep 27 08:05:25 EDT 2006

Good points.

There are our attitudes as teachers and the impact they have on learners' success, and then there are the techniques we choose.

This may be making a wild leap, but your comments make me think of the NCSALL study in which ABE teachers used Multiple Intelligence techniques with their students (see Focus on Basics Vol 3A, http://www.ncsall.net/index.php?id=161).

Howard Gardner's theory of multiple intelligences proposes that there are eight ---spatial, linguistic, interpesonal, bodily/kinesthetic, musical, naturalist, intrapersonal --- and maybe more identifiable intelligences. THe teachers helped learners determine their "intelligence" and created lessons that enabled the learners to use it to build their academic skills. Teachers found this to be a very successful way to engage learners. It certainly would be a way to value learners'strengths genuinely.
Barb Garner

Barb Garner