National Institute for Literacy

[FocusOnBasics 483] Re: Low Self-esteem: Myth or Reality?

Judith Sinclair j-p-sinclair at worldnet.att.net
Mon Sep 25 11:26:16 EDT 2006

Hello, All:

With great interest I am reading and learning from the postings, including Ms. Lipnevich, regarding the community's perception of the relationship of self-esteem to literacy. I would like to add my own experience. For many years I have worked as a teacher, tutor, and advocate with people of all ages and backgrounds, in groups and in individual consultation, who are struggling in some way with issues of literacy. Sometimes they are new arrivals to the USA, with English language skills ranging from emergent through expert. At other times they are long time residents or citizens of this country, and again with varying degrees of American English language accomplishment. And sometimes they are native-born Americans, who struggle with our language in some way, from the basics to a more advanced understanding. From the onset of this work it was my idea that there was a direct relationship between self-esteem and literacy.

During my years in graduate school, I remained interested in the relationship between self-esteem and literacy, yet found in my research and that of others that opinions regarding this relationship widely varied. Nevertheless, from my own ongoing work including my final research and dissertation I found again that there was a direct relationship between self-esteem and literacy, and that this relationship existed across all populations, cultures, and ages.

Now, as a practicing cognitive psychologist and educator, and as a life and career management services consultant, with more experienced and education gained, I have found no instance where these two variables are not present in some critical relationship, at least to some degree. The evidence of this relationship presents in a variety of forms, and with a variety of forces: economic, social, political, cultural, and so on. The presentation may be explicit, in that my client(s) tell me and demonstrate that they have low self esteem, or implicit, but there is, in my opinion, always evidence for this relationship. The evidence also takes many forms, but most simply can be seen in their change of self-perspective as they improve their communication and English language skills and go on to accomplish their goals. The model that I have established for my practice is also based to some degree on this idea: that there is a direct relationship between self-esteem and literacy.

Low literacy denies to people of all ages and backgrounds many aspects of life and career management. Moderate-to-high literacy allows people to negotiate American society's processes and institutions with at least some quantifiable measure of success. Are there other variables that assist in determining life and career success? Of course, and they are integrated into my own practice, and reviewed in my other professiorial activities. But the relationship does exist, and occurs in my experience with many people over many years.

Thanks for providing this forum. I enjoy the discussions and hope to hear from anyone interested.

Judith Sinclair, PhD
Cognitive Psychologist & Educator
Life & Career Management Services Consultant
The Sinclair Center
3003 Van Ness Street NW
Suite 411 West
Washington, DC 20008