National Institute for Literacy

[FocusOnBasics 453] Re: student stories and memorias

Dianna Baycich dbaycich at literacy.kent.edu
Sat Jul 29 17:55:47 EDT 2006

Hi Beth,
I would be happy to share the rubric we use to evaluate the _Beginnings_
submissions. We use a likert scale from 1 to 5 with 5 being the best. The
questions on the rubric are:
1. How clear is the content (message) of the writing?
2. Is the organization/structure of the writing acceptable?
3. How creative or original is the piece of writing? Does it interest the
reader?
4. Are mechanical errors (spelling, grammar, punctuation, and
capitalization) prevalent in the piece of writing? That is, do they get in
the way of the writing's meaning?
5. Overall, how would you rate this piece of writing?
We also leave room for comments.
If you have more questions let me know either on or off list.
Dianna B.
dbaycich at literacy.kent.edu