National Institute for Literacy

[FocusOnBasics 451] student stories and memorias

Dianna Baycich dbaycich at literacy.kent.edu
Thu Jul 27 19:03:40 EDT 2006

Sorry - a bit late on my response to this thread. For the past nine years we
have published student authors in a book titled _Beginnings_. Students in
adult literacy programs send us their writing, a group of teachers and
students rate these pieces of writing using a rubric, the pieces that score
high enough are published in _Beginnings_. In the spring we have a
conference/celebration for the published student authors where they listen
to authors (we've had Brandon Marie Miller and Angela Johnson), eat a lavish
lunch, receive tons of recognition, and have the chance to read their piece
to the other authors and their guests. This is definitely a "wow" project
for all involved. The _Beginnigs_ books are also on line at
http://literacy.kent.edu/Oasis/Pubs/beginnings.html

Dianna Baycich
Ohio Literacy Resource Center
Research 1 - 1100 Summit Street,
P.O. Box 5190
Kent State University
Kent, OH 44242-0001
330.672.7841 330.672.4841 (fax)

"So please, oh PLEASE, we beg, we pray/Go throw your TV set away/And in its
place you can install/A lovely bookshelf on the wall."
- Roald Dahl