National Institute for Literacy

[FocusOnBasics 450] Re: [RE] Learner biography process

robinschwarz1 at aol.com robinschwarz1 at aol.com
Tue Jul 25 22:20:27 EDT 2006

Valley, I believe writing in the student's native language was
addressed in an issue of TESOL Matters last year sometime. Look
through their archives-- I could be having a senior moment and it was
FOB, but I don't think so. It is a WONDERFUL idea. I am really
entranced with this idea in any form, but for ELL's it would be
especially positive. The article, as I remember, actually talked
about having ELL's write about something meaningful in their native
language to help them feel less helpless as learners. Then the
suggestion was to begin to help them acquire the English to be able to
speak or write about what they wrote about in their language. I was
struck by how respectful that process would be of learners who are
often regarded as unable to express themselves about anything.

This Learner biography is something I will be anxious to pursue when I
get a chance.
Robin Lovrien