National Institute for Literacy

[FocusOnBasics 439] Re: Student stories and memorias

Steve Quann steve_quann at worlded.org
Tue Jul 18 18:53:34 EDT 2006

Well, I agree with Andres. Publishing student wortk is powerful. Not
only for the learner but for the teacher as well. Below are few sites
teachers and students have worked on under the auspices of World
Education with a grant from NIFL. Teachers from Connecticut and Vermont
participated in workshops covering best practices for project-based
activities using the Web and the basics of designing a Web site.
Teachers then returned to their classes to see what interests students
had and involved them where possible in the creation of websites. Mind
you, these were on free hosting sites so they are not free of banners
and so nowhere near as beautiful as Memorias del Silencio, but the
content is wonderful and shows a great first effort by teachers.

http://nicholsonesl.tripod.com/
http://ttc-student.tripod.com/
http://plainvilleesl.tripod.com/
http://welearntogether.tripod.com/id31.html

Regards,

Steve Quann
World Education
44 Farnsworth Street
Boston, MA
617.482.9485

>>> julie_mcKinney at worlded.org 07/18/06 11:58 AM >>>

Good idea, David,

I think it would be great to hear from others who have done similar
projects, so here's the thread! And you talk about how this was a
collaboration between the college and the community. Can you tell us
about how this collaboration worked? Andres, you too.

Have others of you done similar projects? Please tell us about them.

All the best,
Julie

Julie McKinney
Discussion List Moderator