National Institute for Literacy

[FocusOnBasics 407] pedagogy/andragogy

Tracy Rosen trmay at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 11 16:30:43 EDT 2006

Hi everyone - my name is Tracy, I also was trained in k-12 but have worked
with adults as well. I am presently finishing my MA in human systems
intervention at Concordia University and am going to begin a new position in
a few weeks at BJEC (the Bronfman Jewish Education Centre) as the special
education coordinator for the schools in the Jewish education system in
Montreal.
Nice to meet you all!

Here is a reference for andragogy:

"In practical terms, andragogy means that instruction for adults needs to
focus more on the process and less on the content being taught. Strategies
such as case studies, role playing, simulations, and self-evaluation are
most useful. Instructors adopt a role of facilitator or resource rather than
lecturer or grader." - taken from http://tip.psychology.org/knowles.html

I would argue, though, if you want to wordsmyth, that pedagogy can be
synonymous with andragogy. At least it is in Quebec, where I work. The
Quebec education program is now much more based in process rather than
content and students (and teachers!) are being encouraged and trained to
look at how they learn in order to facilitate the learning of content.
Students are also being assessed on the 'how' as well as the 'what'. Most
learning is becoming project-based so that learners are working in
'real-life' scenarios and there is a large self-evaluation component as
well. In fact, in elementary school most parent-teacher interviews have
become student-led conferences.

I know that these kinds of reforms are happening in Ontario as well, and I
am sure that this is going on elsewhere too. I am just not aware of it.

So, from my perspective, good pedagogy is learner-centered and focuses on
process and therefore not different from andragogy.

Tracy Rosen