National Institute for Literacy

[FocusOnBasics 352] Re: learners on learning to read

Julie McKinney julie_mcKinney at worlded.org
Fri Jun 16 13:39:40 EDT 2006

Tom,

I love your analogy of motivation being like a seed, and the several
points that connect the seed's situation to a learner's motivation: that
it needs to be both planted and nurtured; that it sometimes lies dormant
and then grows; and that there are different conditions as well as
different ways of nurturing that make it grow.

Julie

Julie McKinney
Discussion List Moderator
World Education/NCSALL
jmckinney at worlded.org

>>> woodsnh at isp.com 06/16/06 12:55 AM >>>

Alisia's words validate my feelings on these matters.

>1) Motivation and determination: Alisa said of the students that:

"Their

>focus makes clear that the starting place for success is within them.

>It's not clear to me if teachers can create those conditions for

>learners or if they have to find a way to do it themselves." What do

you

>all think?

Motivation is like a seed that grows. I believe a teacher can plant and
nurture the seed. Sometimes the seed doesn't grow. Usually it does.
Sometimes it sits for a long time before showing signs of life. Teachers

are not the only ones who plant seeds, of course.

I feel motivation is created through many little things in the
environment. For example, respect the student's goals. Help the student
formulate and refine his or her goals, but it always has to belong to
the student. It is a very easy trap in which to fall of trying to get
the student to accept your goals. It won't work. Other examples: giving
frequent feedback on the progress a student is making towards a goal
(e.g. certificates, credits, gold seals, etc.); making a big affair over

accomplishment of large goals (e.g. commencement ceremonies, awards
ceremonies, press releases); create a structure within the edcuation
program that makes completion requirements explicit and easy for the
student to monitor; the teacher needs to be constantly talking about
attaining goals, and helping students get there without wasting their
time.

A book I find very instructive on motivation and education is Summerhill

School, by A.S. Neill. He worked in the UK in the 1920's, with what we
would today call severely emotionally disturbed students. In a somewhat
counterintuitve way, Neill created conditions for motivation to develop
in the most difficult students who had been rejected by all other
schools. A hallmark of his approach was to accept if a student wanted to

do absolutely nothing. He was prepared to wait until they were ready to
do things on their own. He referred to this waiting period as "curing
children of the toxic effects of their previous schooling." If I could,
I would force all school teachers to read Summerhill.

>2) Supports: Think about this quote from the article: "Practitioners

>cannot create family- or faith-based support where there is none, but

>they can heed the importance of building informal support within the

>program." How important is this? How much of a supportive community

>evnironment do you think your classes are? What factors contribute to

>it?

Supports can be extremely beneficial for several reasons. Students
helping each other helps both the helpee and the helper. When students
work together in a helping community, they are encouraging each other
and showing each other how they are working towards educational goals,
and this helps build motivation. It is in the supportive community of
students and teachers that positive relationships are formed. Everything

builds on everything else.

Working in corrections education, this is a big challenge for me. There
has to be a lot of trust among students for them to be willing to risk
exposing their weaknesses and accept help from another. There isn't a
lot of trust in prisons. People there also tend not to get along well
with others. Many prefer working alone. Our teachers provide a lot of
individual support. We intentionally try to separate the prison
community from the school community. We refer to them as students, for
example, not inmates. When they bring their prison language and behavior

to school , we ask them to leave it at the door because now, they are in

school. We maintain confidentiality. These things create a higher level
of trust and mutual respect. It helps strengthen teacher-student
relationships. It makes the school a desirable place to be.

There is one more thing I want to share about teacher-student
relationships. I was thinking about my own school days and about the
teachers I had. I could not remember some of their names. I puzzled over

why there were some whose names and faces and voices stuck in my mind,
but others vanished. It didn't seem to have anything to do with WHAT I
learned in the classes. The most valuable class I ever took was 7th
grade typing, but I couldn't remember my teacher's name to save my life.

Rather, it was all about the strength of the relationship I had with the

teacher. I'm not sure whether it is absolutely essential for learning
that there is a strong positive relationship (remember my typing
teacher) but I did realize that if I want to be well remembered, I'd
better have good relationships with my students.

Tom Woods
Community High School of Vermont